Wind deflectors are quite clearing their name as they serve the purpose of deflecting the wind. But our question is is it important? There are quite a range of style and design options for wind deflectors and a lot of people do like having a wind deflector on their bike. However, not everyone is clear about their purpose. But you might be aware of that if you own a bike and you travel a lot on it.
The cool breeze feels nice and relaxing. However, if you are riding a bike, you will feel strong gusts of air that will hit your body. Therefore, people who are sure that they will travel long distances on a bike like to have deflectors on their bikes.
How do they work and do they really work?
Wind deflectors work by altering the aerodynamic profile of your bike. Thus, they result in creating an outward draft of your vehicle. They change the direction of air and make it flow from above the head instead of hitting on the face and chest. Moreover, it not only protects you from the direct strong winds but also from the dirt and small insects and bugs that might come with the wind pressure.
If you need to travel long distances, you will need the deflector on your bike. Because otherwise, the strong wind will hit you from the front and will make the ride tiring.
If you are interested in knowing more about windshields and deflectors, you can have a look at this blog.
So why do people get worried about them? Of course, they are benefiting them.
The reason is that it takes time to get accustomed to something. And if you install deflectors, you will need time to adjust your bike riding with it.
In addition to this, deflectors do not work in all cases. So when do they work then? They work for some bikes and not for all. Therefore, you will find the deflector according to the model of your bike. So if you have any other bike, you cannot get the benefit of a deflector at all.
Furthermore, if the distance between the rider and the deflector is more, there will be a risk of vacuum. Therefore, you need to maintain the distance between yourself and the deflector. Because if the distance exceeds a certain limit, it will create a vacuum.
Apart from this issue, there is another problem that you might come across too. If you purchase a bike and it comes with a windshield, it might not work really well. Most of the time, factory-fitted deflectors are a mere décor and they are not practical at all.
Advantages of getting a wind deflector
If you choose to get a windshield and get yourself accustomed to it, you will enjoy these benefits;
- It will reduce the wind direction by changing the aerodynamics of the bike and thus, the wind will blow from above the head of the rider. Thus, it will not hit the driver’s face and chest. So the rider will be protected from the strong winds.
- Deflectors are going to make riding an easy and enjoyable thing for you. You might encounter dust particles while riding. A windshield will save you from that. Likewise, bugs and small insects also come to the rider’s face and they are also a serious distraction. A windshield is going to get rid of all of such distractions.
- You won’t suffer from body aches that come because of riding a bike. If you ride a bike for commuting, you are likely to suffer from pain in the shoulders, back, and neck. However, because of the windshield, the air pressure will reduce and your body won’t feel much resistance.
- They will keep your clothes clean. If you ride the bike too often, you know how dirty your clothes get. You cannot wear a white shirt because it will not look any good. There might be dirt specks or your cuffs and collars will get too dirty with the dirt and dust in the air. However, this won’t be the case with a windshield.
- The windshield is meant to protect the rider. Therefore, it will help you by increasing your focus. And how can it increase your focus? By getting rid of the things that come your way. You will be sure that there won’t be any insects or bugs hitting you. Likewise, it improves your vision and rides during rainy days.
- It will conserve the energy of the rider. Thus, he will be able to ride more distance with less tiredness.
- Our biggest concern during the rain is our mobile phone. So the deflector is also going to save you from water droplets and thus, it will protect your mobile phone too.
Disadvantages of a windshield
Although it offers amazing benefits, everything has some disadvantages too and you are going to decide whether you can adjust to them or not.
- Your windshield might obstruct your vision. Therefore, it is important to choose the right size because if the size is not right, it will cause obstruction instead of comfort. In the case of a higher windshield, the dust and dirt will accumulate on the front and will obstruct the vision of the rider. Thus, he will have to clean it after traveling some distance.
- Scratches and dents in the windshield will also result in obstruction. Thus, it will also affect the vision. More importantly, it will make your deflector look old and shabby.
- You need to be very careful while cleaning the windshield. Because the use of scrubs will leave scratches that will cause other problems.
- Your wind deflector should be at the height of your nose. Otherwise, it will not deflect the wind properly. As a result of this, the rider will face fatigue and tiredness because the wind will be directed at his face.