Wristwatches have been and still are a huge fashion trend. And whether you are wearing one to actually have a clue on what time it is or you just want one that goes well with your style, the number of options is quite big. Along with that, with the competition being bigger than ever and smartwatches becoming a thing you can now get an excellent wristwatch for a fair and reasonable price that will not leave you broke. Now, there are the various style of watches but if you are into cars and you love racing – the racing chronographs might just be the right for you.
We all remember Steve McQueen and we he certainly was a trendsetter due to his accomplished style – leather jackets, aviator sunglasses, and a nice racing watch. And though Steve Mcqueen and his Monaco watch are a standard for looking cool, now there are more options than ever and it just remains up to you to choose the one that is up to your preference. Without further ado, let’s go ahead and take a look at the best racing watches out there!
What To Look For In A Racing Watch
First and foremost, unlike other watch series like aviation ones for example with racing watches you have a number of different options. Whether you are looking for a flashy race-inspired watch or you want something that goes well with any dress combination but still shows you are a car enthusiast – we guarantee that you will find something. There are just a few things that you need to look for in a good racing watch:
- Rolex Daytona is a racing watch that has made a huge impact on the industry. And though chances of you buying a Paul Newman Daytona watch aren’t that high you can still find a good Rolex Daytona for a price of around $10,000. On the other hand, it is the perfect example of how a racing watch should look – elegant and light metal-strep, with complex chronograph and contrasting dials and subdials.
- With a racing watch being much more complex than a regular wristwatch, there are two main things you should focus on – chronograph and a tachymeter. The chronograph is there to work as a separate stopwatch and is an excellent function in case you need to measure the time of your lap or ignition-time. And yes, a good chronograph is the one that has subdials and few pushers that will allow you for easier stop/reset function.
- On the other hand, a good tachymeter is something you need whether you are on the road or in a training session. It will measure what distance are you covering in what amount of time – and yes, it shows how many units are you passing per hour.
A Few Good Choices
- As mentioned above, Rolex Daytona, a series that have been first released in 1963 is still one of the best type of racing watches out there and something that surely is worth your money. And though the cheapest one is at around $10,000 once you show up with it people will know that no one should mess around with your lap time.
- Along with that, our second choice would be the famous Steve McQueen Monaco watch made by Heuer. It has a square case and a very distinctive look – and unlike other watches, it goes with a leather strap which is not something you see very often. Probably the most famous racing watch, apart from Daytona, you should absolutely give it a go.
- Omega Speedmaster is a simple and bold watch, with a good chronograph and tachymeter, still staying within the borders of the classical Omega watch style.
Getting a race watch is a must if you are a car enthusiast and love going for a lap yourself as well. And as you can see, there is a variety of options to choose from – just remember, a good racing watch goes a long way!