Even if you’re careful on the road, car accidents can still happen. These situations are made worse when they’re due to someone else’s negligent behavior and that you suffered an injury as a result of such negligence.
Thus, if you’ve been injured, it’s always in your best interest to hire a lawyer beforehand. This way, you’ll know what steps to take after a car accident. But in case you’re still unsure, keep reading this article to learn five reasons why you should work with a legal professional after a car accident.
1. Educate Yourself About Your Legal Options
It’s certain that you’re unfamiliar with all the laws applicable to your situation. As such, hiring a lawyer who specializes in car accident claims makes a lot of sense in your legal battle.
Generally, experienced personal injury lawyers from reputable firms, like Kreeger Law Firm, can examine the circumstances of your case and establish the laws relevant and useful to the resolution of the same. Also, with them on your side, you’ll know the legal options available to you and what necessary steps to take to ensure a favorable outcome on your behalf.
For example, the lawyer may recommend the filing of a personal injury lawsuit claim in case insurance negotiations will fail. This is a clear sign of how crucial hiring a lawyer is after being involved in a vehicular accident.
2. Help Deal With The Insurance Company
One of the most challenging things to deal with when an accident and injury happen is to claim the right amount of settlement from the insurance company. Since these companies are also in the business of making money, they’ll do everything they can to reduce the amount of your compensation or to entirely deny your claim.
That being said, it’s best to get yourself represented by a lawyer who knows how to negotiate with the insurance company and protect your interests throughout the proceeding. Specifically, hiring a legal professional means handling all the details of your claim for you and helping prepare a written or verbal statement that’s carefully created to your benefit.
3. Know The Real Value Of Your Injuries
Another crucial aspect of being an injured victim of a car accident is to ensure the compensation you receive is representative of the real value of your claim as well as the damages you’ve suffered. In most cases, insurance companies are trained at persuading injury victims to accept a low settlement offer, which will compensate you as little as possible.
This is one of the reasons why you should have a lawyer by your side. By hiring someone who knows the fundamentals of personal injury law, you’ll be able to determine the true extent and value of your claim.
For example, they’ll take into account all the damages you suffered, including the past and future medical bills, lost wages and earning capacity, pain and suffering, and many more. That way, you’ll receive the right amount of compensation you rightfully deserve.
4. Establish The Fault Of The Other Driver
In order to get compensated for the injury you’ve sustained, it’s important to prove that the other driver’s negligence caused the accident and you got injured as a result thereof. But since the other party will more likely try to shift the blame on you, it makes the establishment of fault against them more difficult. This is where hiring a reliable personal injury lawyer comes to the rescue.
Typically, an accomplished legal professional will examine the facts of your case, including the pieces of evidence they’ve gathered to come up with a strong argument on your behalf. Also, they have the skills and resources that can help obtain the following evidence to prove other driver’s liability for your injuries:
- Taking photos of the accident scene, including the actual damage to your car and your injuries;
- Gathering the accident report from the police authorities;
- Getting your medical records from your physician;
- Gathering personal information of the witnesses and interviewing them.
5. Properly Represent You In Court
In case the insurance company is unwilling to offer the right amount of settlement for you, your next legal resort is to file a personal injury lawsuit claim in court. But unless you’re a legal professional by yourself, you need to hire a lawyer who can help you properly navigate this legal option.
Since every state’s court rules and procedure are different from one another, you should work with someone who knows exactly how to handle your case, increasing your chances of winning. For example, by working with a lawyer, you’ll be aware that your lawsuit should be filed within the required time limits, which are also known as statutes of limitations, to avoid waiving your right to file a case in court.
In addition to the statute of limitations, it’s also best to have a lawyer who can help you navigate the following stages:
- Discovery Stage – At this phase, they’ll help investigate the other party’s defenses and legal claims. They’ll provide interrogatories, request documents, and take depositions of all witnesses. All of these things are necessary to build a strong case on your behalf.
- Mediation – During this stage, they’ll try to settle your case without going to court by talking to them and convincing the other party to give the proper amount of compensation you need.
- Trial – In the event mediation doesn’t work, your lawyer will prepare for the trial stage. At this point, they’ll argue your case in front of the judge and prove that the car accident caused your injuries. Before the issuance of a judgment, the judge will examine the circumstances and determine if compensation is in order for you.
- Appeal – If the judgment is unfavorable to you, you may have the option to elevate the case to the higher court and pray for the judgment to be reversed. To win the appeal, make sure you have a reputable lawyer on your side to help you.
From insurance negotiation and determining the true value of your injuries to proving liability and filing a lawsuit in court, it’s best to hire an excellent lawyer after a car accident. When you hire one, be sure to look for someone who has the dedication and resources to handle your case to the point that its fullest value is realized.
Therefore, if you’ve been injured in an accident, keep these reasons in mind so you’ll be more confident of your decision to entrust your situation to a legal professional.