The next time you rent a car, it is important to know a few key tips and tricks before you drive off the lot! Not only can you save money, but you can also save yourself time and possible avoid trouble down the road. When it comes to renting a car for your next business trip, or for the family vacation, here are five things you should definitely know before you rent!
Deals for Wheels
There are so many ways you can save more than a little money on your car rental. When it comes to cutting corners with your budget, there’s no better time to do it than with the rental car company. Because of fees, cleaning charges, and so much more, it’s isn’t cheap to get a car for your next trip.
Check out these easy ways to keep that money in your wallet:
- Online coupons. From coupon specific sites, to rental car company coupons available online, you can definitely find coupons to help you out when it comes to paying for your rental.
- Ask for a discount. That’s right, just ask. Senior citizens, as well as military and students, there are tons of discounts you may be missing just because you’re not asking!
- Rewards program. Loyalty programs certainly do reward frequent renters. Sign up to get money off your base rate now.
- Rent from OUTSIDE the airport. When you rent from the airport, yes it is convenient. However, you may be paying a higher rate for that convenience!
- Longer rental agreements. If you’re signing up for a longer rental agreement, you may be paying for a lower base rate! If you’re traveling to Dubai, and you only need a car for two weeks, try signing up for monthly a car rental in Dubai at Renty. Not only can you save on the base, but you can turn it in at ANY TIME.
- Don’t pay insurance if you HAVE insurance. If you have car insurance, check your policy to see if your rental car is covered. This will help you avoid those expensive insurance fees.
When it comes to things you should know before renting a car, how to save money is a MAJOR plus!
Inspect the Car. Really, Inspect the Car
Not only are there lots of different safety measures you should take before renting a car, but one of the most overlooked things you need to do is inspect the vehicle yourself. Yes, the rental company will do an inspection, but if they miss even the tiniest scratch, you may be paying the bill once you return the car! Make certain to check the exterior of the vehicle, as well as the interior before you take off in the rental.
Here is a quick checklist of the spots you should look at before you drive off in a rental:
- Review mirrors
- Hood, front as well as back
- Side doors
- Door handles
- Seat upholstery
Check everything for scratches, dents, as well as paint chips and malfunctions (inside). Once you’re in the vehicle, you should also do a quick check of all of the interior controls. Find the turn signals, light controls, as well as play with the radio for a minute before you start driving. This will help you not only get a chance to see if anything is wrong with the car, but also allow you to be more familiar before driving.
Typically, rental car companies will offer you a deal when you prepay for the rental car, or you prepay for gas. However, doing this may mean a number of things. You over pay on gas, you try to turn the car in early but don’t get your money back, they charge you extra fees when you don’t pick up your reservation, etc. Pay for what you use, and ONLY what you use.
This can also be said for the extra fees that may be added to your bill. Be certain to take a good look at what they are charging you for, as well as actually read the rental agreement. Yes, it will take some time. However, you may be paying for something that you shouldn’t be paying for, and that little bit of time reading could save you money!